Well, I'm officially a Fifties girl now. I saw weights in the fifties all week, and on my official weigh in day I registered 59.7, not bad after a day off yesterday and eating Barnacle Bill's and cheescake for lunch for my Dad's birthday! It was a somewhat surprising 1.5 kg loss for the week. Last week's weigh in saw me at 61.2 and I thought I was lucky it wasn't more as I didn't eat particulary well in my week of holidays after the big race. But I had been hovering around this weight for a few weeks before this and eating well, and it just reinforced for me that consistency of diet wins at the end of the day. I've also decided that my job is very good for weight loss - I have no time to eat!!! NO temptations to snack on undesirable foods - I am way too busy and tied down in meetings so it just can't happen.
Thin vs fit - I've had some new insights regarding this. At a family dinner on Sunday night I found out that my sister-in-law and I weigh exactly the same - 59 kilos. But she is a bit taller than me (not hard!) I reckon about 8 - 10 cms. So in my head I was processing this and thought - well this means she must be thinner than me. But I looked at her, and then reviewed the picture of me I had in my head and thought - I could have sworn I looked thinner than her - but obviously I must be wrong. It is really hard to be objective about the way you look - so I asked my husband the same question on the way home. And guess what - he thought I looked slimmer too. But how can this be you ask? As I did myself? The only explanation I can come up with is "muscle". I have spent the last 10 months exercising intensely and have definitely built muscle: I can see it in the mirror, in the photos from the City/Bay - even the kids have commented on it, and we all know muscle weighs more than fat. So whilst we weigh the same, I think my body must be more compact from the muscle and showing a slimmer shape. How cool is that! But there was more that occured to me about this. I spent quite a while reading "Oxygen" (fitness mag for women), and what I realised was that I prefer these mags to slimming ones, because they show a fitter healthier looking body shape - one'es with rounded shaped shoulders and athletic looking thighs - and I love this look. I've always hated my saddle bag thighs and yearned for those sleek stick thin ones - at least I thought i did. But now I realsie I'd much prefer to have athletic looking solid thighs - and thats definitely achievable. I think I may just learn to love my thighs afterall! It just reiterated to me that I am no longer looking for slimmer and slimmer versions of myself - I want to look fit and athletic, toned and not fat - all quite different from skinny! I think the female stars of the world have got it all wrong. Instead of starving themselves to be thinner and look more glamorous in their evening gowns, they should be exercising more to accentuate a curvy toned body - now that would look fab - and what guy doesn't love curves!
Well its only 4 weeks now until the anniversary of my weight loss journey, and I am determined to reach goal by then, so my posts will probably focus more on weight than fitness over the next few weeks, then it will be full on fat loss (changing my body composition/building muscle).
BTW - I ran 8 kms this am, then turned around and ran back down the street to buy a morning drink (just because I can!). And then, as it was such a beautiful day and I wanted to head out again, I went off to the gym and rowed 1km, cycled 5 kms and did my weights - just because I can!!! What a beautiful life!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
Congratulations on being a 50's girl. As another shortie it isn't easy to get those lower numbers. My body shape is the same as yours - I don't think I'll ever be a "thin" girl and neither am I sure I want to be. Next week I'll be a 60's girl again and I'll be chasing the 50's. Have a great week Lisa and enjoy your hard work. It's a great feeling.
Dear Lisa
Just discovered your blog after you posted on mine a while back and love yours. We both sound similar although I am a little taller [163cm] but around the same age. Your starting weight was higher than mine so you've done an excellent job. I look forward to reading more of your excellent insights into this weird and wonderful world of weight loss and maintenace.
Love Katie
xxxx
YAY!! 50ties girl, goal is so close now, I am sure i can be done by your WL anniversary! WOOHOOO!!
And i completely agree with the fit and muscled is so much better! i know people 5-9kilos lighter than me who have bigger body shape (and are the same height as me) and i do believe it all comes down to muscle.
And hey, i just bared my thighs to the world, and there is no way they will EVER be sticks. but they have some great muscle going! I sure yours are even better, i love the morning run to get a drink just cos you can!
You should be so proud of yourself, you are doing great!
Rae :)
wowwwwww wish I had half your energy...love that I ran coz I can!! keep that feeling, you are to be congratulated on coming so far...awesome!!
Jen
Hi Lisa,
Congrats on the running results - all that hard work really does pay off hey?
(maybe i should take a leaf out of your book!)
hope everything is still travelling well, seeing as you haven't posted in a while.....sending you happy thoughts!
JEssie
p.s. ohhhh, you're officially tiny now!!
Post a Comment