Thursday, August 23, 2007

The Winter War Theory is True!

Just found in the latest edition of Oxygen:

"Its not uncommon for anyone to gain up to five kilos during winter. As a matter of fact, eating more food in winter is the body's natural response to find the means of generating body heat, and increased caloric intake is one of them."

I knew it! I could see lots of people struggling with their weight over winter, and have been wondering if its a "normal" thing. When I look at normal, I ask my husband questions - as he is someone who never watches what he eats, and never gains weight.... or does he? One of my theories is that maybe naturally thin people do vary in their weight, but because they're not obsessing over it, they dont notice daily and seasonal variations. So he weighed himself - and he is about 3 kilos heavier than normal - interesting huh? So what I want to know is, if you consistently eat healthily - will the weight drop off as the weather warms up? After all, thin people can't just gain kilos every winter and stay thin!

I'm quite fascinated at the moment with normal eating habits, normal body responses etc, as I try to learn to maintain my lower body weight. I think my metabolism is quite stuffed from bad eating habits in the past and am trying to address this, as mentioned in an earlier post, because my body doesn't react the same way to food and exercise as my hubby's does. And I was interested to read in Jen's blog that she was managing the maintenance quite well, but recently she's been on holidays and gained 4 kgs (hope you don't mind me sharing this here, Jen). But I wonder - is this normal for regular people who don't struggle with their weight? I can't imagine that Jen binged for whole time she was away, more likely that she just relaxed her eating, and ate what people normally eat on holidays - does every regular thin person gain 4 kgs like this - or do they gain it, and then because their body is so used to being at a standard "set" point weight, that the pull is so strong to maintain it that it naturally returns when routine is restored? Thats what I want - a stable weight that will self regulate.

I'm working really hard at fixing my metabolism. Here's what I'm doing
  • Regular, frequent eating - no starving myself, no excessive eating, and consistently healthy
  • Increasing the consistency of my weight training - I read that something like increasing 1kg of muscle will result in burning an extra 500 cals a day to maintain it - that's huge and I want it.
  • Increasing my fluids - this is my worst area - I just don't drink enough and dehydration slows the metabolism. So, as I'm hopeless at drinking water (just don't like it unless its iced - and its too cold for this in winter) I'm trialling drinking more powerade light - 65 cals/600 mls. Its a trade = spend 200 cals on powerade a day - but know that I'm well dehydrated - which will have a more positive impact on my weight I wonder. So far this week - the powerade seems worth it
  • Maintaining my cardio exercise regularly - the easy bit
  • getting my thyroid function checked out - since I have now been off work for 4 days - have to go to the docs for a med cert. So thought I'd make it worth my while and ask for a blood test - the main reason for this is that I am sooo cold allll the time. I have far more body fat than my husband to keep me warm - but I am ten times colder. In fact i am colder than anyone else I know, including skinny people! (Hence I think my winter weight troubles - fighting to stay warm)

By the way - I also read in Oxygen that when you are sick, provided your symptoms are "above the shoulders, and you have no fever/body aches, you are well enough to maintain a modified workout. And I am very proud of myself that I have done just that. I've done no running, no combat, no going to the gym and spreading my germs, BUT I have walked slowly on the treadmill every night and continued with my weights. So the routine has been maintained - which is what I am aiming for - teaching my body to expect consistency of nutritional intake and regular exercise - even if there is variety within this.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hmmmmmmm well how did my evil boyfriend lose 5kgs during winter? HUH? hehe

anyway yes, i am trying my best to lose the 5kgs i have gained... so depressing!

luv ya miss... glad ur blogging again!

KatieP said...

Oh my god I hope you are right. I can't wait for those 5 friggin' kilos to melt away as the weather warms up.
xxx

jen said...

mmmm I don't mind you using me Lisa.....but heyyyyyy on my hols I did relax and yep in my eating habits too!! I knew the scales were going to show it too even thou I did excersise most days....so hopefully now I am back into routine those "relaxed" kilo's will melt away!!

ohhhhh welcome back...good to see you back