Sunday, September 28, 2008

A bit of everything

Here's an update on a bit of everything for you. I've been away a lot for work, and working most evenings, so I haven't had much of a chance to update.

Weight - Last week - 58.5, this week 58.0
Very, very interesting. I am currently losing about 500gms/wk without really trying. I haven't counted calories, I've eaten whatever I've wanted, and I've drunk reasonable amounts of alchohol. I have however been somewhat stressed, still exercising a fair bit, as well as extra endurance bike sessions, and haven't eaten any large meals -I've tended to just eat lots of snacks - some very healthy, some not so. And I've stuck to my weekly weigh ins. If I drop any more weight I will be looking at my lowest weight range in 24 years. How come its suddenly so easy? I'm not sure. I'm wondering if my metabolism is finally recovering. Its been two years now since I stopped serious dieting and reached goal weight. I've also worked hard to build muscle to help with my metabolism as well as changing my eating habits to eat small amounts regularly. Has it all actually worked? Time will tell.


City 2 Bay
Ran this last weekend in a terrible time of 80 mins - but I didn't expect anything more given my calf injury and the absence of any training. I was just hoping my general fitness would allow me to run the distance. Having mainly only run intervals this year, 12 kms was a big ask. I decided to use Jeff Galloways walk/run interval trick to put more kms in my legs than are really there. He believes that all runners should put short walk breaks in every 9 mins or so - and then you can significantly extend your distances. The week before the race during my two and only two training runs I had run 9 min intervals with 1 min walk rests, and at times had to extend them to 2 mins. So for the C2B I did some calculations and set my Garmin up to have me run for 2kms (which would be about 12 mins) and then walk for 100m. This would mean that over the 12 kms I would only walk 500 metres of it - but would hopefully be able to cover the distance injury free. And so I stuck to the plan. I let myself run as slowly as I liked, but refused to let my self stop for anything more than the scheduled walks. As I hit the 1.5 to 1 km mark I realised I still had a reasonable amount of "legs" in me, and picked up the pace, sprinting past most people along the way. I ended up running down Jetty Road feeling a little green - but thats a good way to finish. It also made me realise that I could have pushed my running harder - but I had no way of knowing this given my lack of practice. I had originally set my target at 66mins, prior to injury, and still desperately want to break the 60 minute barrier at some stage. So I have decided that as I know I can run at these speeds for short periods of time, I am going to start my training for next year, now. I am going to try and run the fastest km I can every second day until I can run a 5 min km. And then I am going to string a second together with the first etc and I WILL reach my goals - after all - a year is a long time to achieve it!

Cycling
I did my second ride to Port Pirie yesterday (30kms) and it was absolutely awful. If I thought I had a head wind last time, it was nothing in comparison to this. At times I thought I might fall off as I was having trouble keeping the bike moving forwards! During the first 3 kms I glanced down once and saw my HR hit 220 bpm. Yes you read it correctly 220 bpm - with my official Max HR being 176. Well I knew I could manage more than this - but 220! In fact when I downloaded my ride onto the computer, I saw that my max HR in the first 3 kms was 225, 220 and 225! No wonder I was feeling sick when I stopped at this point to fix something on my watch. So the ride that took my 90 mins 2 weeks ago - took me 130 mins this time. For much of it I couldn't move the bike at more than 10kms/hr due to the big hills and the headwind - which is ridiculously slow for a road bike. What was also very interesting was the calorie calculation that my Garmin did. Unlike Polar, Garmin doesn't take HR into account - its formula is based on distance and speed, so for my 2hr plus ride, averaging at 13kms/hr - it told me I had only burnt 550 cals! Now for those Polar experts, or punch this in to a calorie calculator - I spent 130 mins cycling with an average HR of 180 bpm - I would think you could probably double this effort. Vigorous exercise with a HR of 180 bpm should be burning at least 500 cals per hour I would have thought!
Anyway - also of training note - is that once again I have no stiffness/soreness/DOMS from the ride. I'm wondering if this is because its a low impact sport.

Weight Training
Haven't done a lot of this of late due to work pressures. But I did bench press again this morning, and after two sets put another 1kg on the bar, and managed to push out 8 reps at 26 kgs. So I decided that if I can press 8 of them, the bar will stay at 26 kgs in future. Didn't try a maximum at the beginning - so don't know how this is going - but I did have another go at the chinups - and there is a little bit more movement there. So onwards with the bench press - maybe its helping. No update on the pushups, they have been missing for the last two weeks!

Well - that's it for now - I'm off to watch Australian Idol

2 comments:

Kristy said...

You sound like you are doing a fantastic job with everything at the moment. Great weigh-in... Fantastic job on the ride in such tough conditions. I hope I can work out how to get my metabolism firing on all cylinders so I can lose weight without trying too.

Kristy said...

Re your comment on my post I was looking at doing them at State Swim Norwood, but it would be fun to do it together so I could do it at a different location. Their website is here http://www.stateswim.net.au/ It is $55 per month, which I think is reasonable