Monday, July 17, 2006

Fickle Scales

Well I did it! Recorded a weight of 63.9 this morning which gives me a 1.0 weight loss for the week..... Well sort of. I've discovered a problem. I have good quality digital scales (at least I thought I did) and they measure body fat percentage as well, but I've discovered that if I lean to the left, I can get a lower reading???? I thought that maybe this was related to the floor in the bathroom - I examined it careful and it does seem to slope to the left slightly. So I tried the scales in a different spot - and got a different weight....and another spot and another weight....
So I now I'm not really sure what my weight is. I guess I should continue to weigh myself in the spot that I always have, but it makes it difficult as my body now has a mind of its own and leans to the left for a better response! Mmm can't change scales at this point either as they all provide different weights. I guess the actual weight though isn't as important as seeing the change - so consistency of approach rules! I will continue as is, and have to be strict as to how I stand - but how was I standing when I weighed this morning? I have no idea, I weighed myself so many times I lost track. Still, I did see 63.9 on two of them, have seen this reading during the week, and was very good on the weekend; did double the exercise (walked for and extra 4 kms) and came in for the day at 16 points - I deserved a good weigh in! Still if I've recorded myself too low, I guess the weight loss next week will just look less. Eventually can't cheat myself!

Changed my ticker this morning - figured if I changed it each week you would know its been updated. I just loved the new cheesecake one - cheesecake is my favourite food and I really haven't eaten it in 8 months. Had a few mouthfuls of a piece the other day that a friend brought to my house - but it was coffee flavoured - and in my books that's not really cheesecake!
There were also some lovely bright tickers around, but I'm not choosing one of them until the weather improves and warrants it!

3 comments:

Carolyn or Connee said...

Congrats. on the weight loss....I play with my scales too a little...step forward...step backward...trying to get the weight I want! Thanks for the comment on my blog. Not too many people have read it. I did put some pictures on today but I couldn't get the ones I wanted, to load! I love having the monthly challenges...I do this with a group of girls I have never met on MSN...we have a group called You Can Do It...a girl in the Bahama's started and I joined in...we all want to lose weight and come up with all kinds of ideas. I love using the internet and have found that this does help. Besides I love to borrow ideas from people that are successful.

Jessie said...

Lisa, I know what you mean!
Saturday I weighed myself on home scale and it said 69.8. Yippee I thought - good week! (Monday is my weigh in day).
Then Monday weigh-in, the scales shocked me and said 68.9 - what the!! This translates to a 2.2kg loss...then at work I double checked at the electronic scales...smack bang on 70kg. So I decided to chose the mid point between the two - 69.5kg! Arrhh, life is complicated...stupid scales.

But you're right - the only person you deceive is yourself, so I guess I'll find out next Monday!

Oh, by the way, well done of achieving the goal you set, keep up the hard work.
See you at goal!

Jessie

p.s. let me know how you go in ur fun run...I'm doing the 4.5km run in just over 2 weeks! yay!

Anonymous said...

Yes scales can be annoying, I sometimes weigh myself at home just before my meeting on my old rotary scales and they are pretty accurate (only paid $10 for them) when I compare to the WW scales.

Mine usually weigh me less than the ones at WW so although I don't have an exact figure I can usually guess if I am going to have a crappy weigh-in or not.

ANyhoo sounds like you lost either way so good on you! Keep up the good work :)